Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The Triathlete

No, that would not be me. That would be my daughter, Catherine, who is in training for her second NYC triathlon. This is again being run under the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training fund raising effort. Each participant pledges to raise $2650. While Catherine has been training she has not been fund raising and in fact hasn't gotten around to spreading the word. So, once again, for those generous souls out there, here is the link to her fund raising page:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nyc/nyctri11/catherine

Regardless of whether you intend to donate I encourage you to read the short intro on her page. It provides some insight into her experience over the past 6 years.

And for those who want to support the cause, the LLS is key to supporting blood cancers, such as myeloma. They provide significant funding for drug development, such as velcade, which keeps people like me alive. They also provide a lot of patient support services as well as financial assistance for those in need. LLS is a fabulous patient oriented, patient advocate organization which is committed to finding a cure for this nastiness. Any amount will help. The Team in Training is another of its fund raising activities, like the Light the Night walk I have supported over the years. Ultimately the funds all go to the same place to help blood cancer patients. Thank you in advance for your support of Catherine's triathlon.

I'm off chemo this week, start my second cycle next week, and should have some numbers in 2 weeks. The chemo was tolerable, but I'm glad for a week's break.
Dan

4 comments:

Steven L. Ritter said...

Done... Teller her thank you from me for the support and effort. I was going to sign up for a century ride with the LLS but I'm not a good fund raiser. My son is also a marathoner so I guess we have that in common also. Let me know how she does... times etc.

Sandy said...

I have two former triatheletes in my family; one even met her husband-to-be at one! I shall be intending that she is doing well in the competition and I will forward the information to some potential donors, too.

Good to hear that you are staying on top of things and I am intending, as always, that you are getting what is needed to manage your MM, for the highest and best good of all concerned, so be it and SO IT IS!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
My name is Liz and I have been following your blog for the last several months. I am sorry to hear that you have so much going on with the transplants and infusions. I hope you know that although these things are terrible, you are and have helped many by sharing your story.
That said, since your blog is a great resource for someone going through cancer I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were interested in a new online social support network (that I am the community manager of!) called I Had Cancer. It is a new and free social support network focused on connecting people based on experiences with cancer so that they can easily communicate with one another and share information. I would love to tell you more if you are interested, so please let me know! Because I was so struck by your writing I would love to send you an early-access pass with extra invites for others you may know going through this journey.

Either way, thank you so much for your writing. Take care and best regards.
-Liz@ihadcancer.com- If anyone would like info on I Had Cancer please email me.

nago said...

interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you



Best Cancer Hospitals