Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Nina's Quilt

Speaking of the abundance of friends (see previous post), I have to tell you about the quilt that our friend, Nina Companion, had delivered about 2 weeks ago. Nina used to live in Colorado and, although she now lives in Massachusetts, has been a source of constant support for us these past months, including a visit this past fall. So 2 weeks ago Friday I was having a particularly bad day and Susan tells me that a package has arrived for me. I open the large box and there is a quilt, with pictures sewn throughout the quilt. Nina got the pictures from Julia and Catherine (which they scanned and emailed) and they are photos of our family taken during the past 20 years. They are printed on fabric and sewn into the quilt. The quilt is such a work of love, even more so because Nina herself suffers from health problems which no doubt made this project even more difficult. To top it all off, Nina called the girls and asked them to show up that evening to share in the joy of the arrival of the quilt; so Julia and Catherine both showed up, independently and unexpectedly, and raised my spirits considerably. The quilt is in my favorite color: blue, and it keeps me warm every morning during my daily meditation. These last two posts are but a few of the many gifts of love that our friends have brought to us. Calls, letters, cards, visits, gifts, food, flowers, prayers and innumerable blog postings have rained down upon us. We are so grateful. Love, Dan

No comments: