Friday, April 14, 2006

6 More Weeks of Velcade

Yes, the visit with Rifkin took place today at 4 p.m. The numbers report: IGGs at 2586, down from 2601. Not impressive; not even deemed responsive; but not upward. The multiple myeloma continues to be stable. The skeletal survey shows no change from 6 months ago, so that is good. Kidney and liver function are OK. I was more worried about the kidney function and a sore right hip. Rifkin attributes the hip pain to arthritis, although he is going to have the xray reexamined to make sure there is no change. No, it's not the bike riding as it started before I bought the bike. Because on the nonresponsiveness, however, I do not qualify for staying on the study for 4 more cycles.

Rifkin gave me the option of continuing with the velcade for 2 more cycles or going to Revlimid. Rifkin has presented papers at national conferences showing that 15% of the people on velcade don't show a response until 6 cycles. Feeling lucky, I chose 2 more cycles of velcade, which Rifkin said he was very comfortable with. Then I asked about using it in conjunction with dexamethasone (a steroid). He agreed that would be a good idea, and he could try the combination as I will no longer be in the study. My first treatment was thalidomide with dexamethasone,and I had a good response; although that combo ultimately put me in the hospital with a myriad of problems. So, the plan is 2 more cycles of velcade, with dexamethasone given IV with each shot of velcade. I felt that I had done my homework today, asked a number of questions, received good answers, and am pleased with the plan going forward. Susan and I both were relieved. Although we would certainly loved to have received news of a big drop in the IGGs, we have had doctor appointments with much worse news. Maybe stability in the numbers is OK after all.

Rifkin was also pleased to hear of my bike riding, saying that one of the goals of treatment is to give people some quality of life during treatment. He asked about work and I told him of my continuing struggles with back pain and memory issues, such that I was not comfortable taking on client's legal matters. (energy is also unpredictable) I taught a class at DU law school a few weeks ago. It was a good "trial run" as after one hour my back was killing me and I was exhausted. So much for that. I guess I'll stick with a leisurely bike ride!

If you didn't see the pictures from Australia, check out the prior posting. Those pictures are, again, compliments of John Sadwith, executive director of Colorado Trial Lawyers. He also provided the pictures from Africa and South America. Talk about being connected! Thank you John.

So, I start the velcade/dexamethasone on Monday and will finish in 6 weeks, likely with a bone marrow biopsy to check the cancer levels. I'll keep you posted if anything interesting happens on my bike rides.

1 comment:

brett said...

Thanks for the update, Dan. I'm sorry the numbers are not any lower, but am also quite relieved to hear that there are no changes in the scan. And you get to ride your bike in this most amazing weather that we're having! It's the little things, sometimes, that get us through a day.