Wednesday, April 07, 2010


I was discharged on Monday afternoon following an uneventful Easter weekend. For the next 10 days we have daily clinic visits, which will take from 4 to 6 hours a day as they test my blood, infuse fluids and any other nutrients my blood may be missing such as potassium, platelets, red cells, etc. I am still so exhausted that I see this as an opportunity to sleep, as I did yesterday. I slept through most of the 4 hours, then came home and slept another 2 hours. I guess the work going on in my bone marrow is sapping my energy. At least there's something happening there. Thus far everything in the blood seems to be in good shape (way to go Mike!).

We are now on the alert for graph host disease, which can show itself in variety of ways, such as skin rashes, fevers, increased GI problems, etc. None of it sounds good so we are maintaining high vigil to catch anything early.

Susan and Gary spent the 3 1/2 weeks that I was in the hospital cleaning his house and yard so I would have a comfortable clean environment. It all looks so nice and spit polished. Unfortunately it appears I won't be able to enjoy sitting in the yard as my first attempt at that ended after 30 minutes when my hands got all red and itchy and I had to retreat inside. That was probably my sensitive skin's response to the pollen and heat. I guess I've moved from room arrest to house arrest; a gradual expansion of my area of influence.

My appetite is marginal, which is why I was not shy about bulking up in the months leading up to this. I've also lost all my hair once again. Except this time I went to the barber and got my dome polished. The top of my head literally shines now. Ah, I'm sure it will be a challenge to be such a hottie. NOT.

So the plan is to keep everything as boring as possible and to get early release back to Denver. It's going to get hot and humid here very soon and after 35 years in Colorado I don't tolerate heat and humidity very well.

Happy Spring to all.


Steven L. Ritter said...

Good job!! Sounds like your making progress... Get the rest you need and move out into the environment slowly...

Seal Family said...

You have always been a hottie! Take care and love to you. Seal Family

Nick said...

Dan -

So glad to hear you tolerated treatment well and that your Frankenmarrow (did I just coin a term?) is alive and kicking! I'm sure it feels great to get out of the hospital and with luck soon you will be back home and on your way to a cancer free life!

You and your family remain in our prayers, and I am eager to hear of your success with the mini-allo, for intellectual / learning reasons but most importantly to learn of the good health of my friend.


Nick and JIll

Bob OC said...

Best of luck, Dan! Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery...

- Bob in NYC

sailor said...

Dear Dan,

Your courage and determination never cease to amaze me. Prayers, love and light are sent to you and your family each and every day. I hope your time away from home is filled with healing, friends, family, laughter and SPEED! Here is a blog from my friend's son that might give you a little something to read while under house arrest! Love you and yours,

Susie Hemingway said...

Just wishing you extra strength as the days go by and quickly on to full recovery, returning home really soon.
Hamada and Susie UK

sailor said...

John and Lisa Europe

Forgot the blog address! Sorry!



Gail said...

Keep up the bounce. I'm really wishing I could see that polished bald head and plant a kiss on it. Ah for now I'll just have to imagine it. Take care, you're in my non-thoughts as I breathe in and out.