Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hotter Than H ouston

I can't believe I haven't posted for almost 2 weeks. How time flies when you're doing nothing. Then again....So here's the latest. First the weather: Houston is hot and humid (90 degrees, 94% humidity) and it's only going to get worse. The heat sucks the energy right out of me so I've just about taken to staying inside. I'll get my walks in by going to a Super Target or Costco or someplace like that---with air conditioning. I also go to physical therapy twice a week. Those "workouts" are an embarassment to anyone who considered himself an athlete at anytime during his life----like me. But they are about all I can handle right now. According to their data I'm doing very well. Of course you must remember that their data is compiled from people with wheel chairs, missing limbs, paralysis, and octagenarians. But I'm at the top of my class!

I've come down with the crud once again. Seems to be at least a twice a year occurence. The official diagnosis is para influenza, described as a cousin to the flu. I don't have a fever or other symptoms. The doc doesn't seem concerned and says we'll just have to let it run its course. My M protein (a key indicator of degree of myeloma) remains at 1.75; same as where it was in early March. Blood counts are generally good, although I received a transfusion yesterday as my hemoglobin is down a bit. That was my first transfusion since I was discharged from the hospital, which is great. By comparison, I believe I had about 20 transfusions at this date while in Little Rock and then another 5 or 6 in Denver. They will be reducing my anti rejection meds soon, as well as starting me on revlimid I believe.

This weekend I won't have to take any additional fluids. They tried this a couple of weekends ago but my creatinine spiked up (a measure of kidney function), so they put me back on daily fluids. Creatinine has started to go down so we'll try this again.

Susan returned from a long weekend to NYC. It was her first visit to see Catherine in the Big Apple. Of course they had a great time, walking through Times Square, around Central Park and throughout the city. We were both struck by the cycle of life, as Catherine is having the time of her life living in NYC, as Susan was when I first met her. Susan derives great joy seeing her daughter living that life. It was a busy weekend for Susan as she also worked in visits with her cousin Arlene, daughter Stacey and Sigun/Joe and her good friend Hildi. Julia drew the short straw and had to come down to Houston to "cover" during my caregiver's absence. Julia, Gary and I made the best of it by sampling some of Houston's restaurants and discovering the best ever frozen yogurt shop--Red Mango.

That's all for now.

Much love to all,



Mom said...

I am glad you are feeling better but let's not be making comments about octogenarians. That's hitting too close to home. Love,Mom

Susie Hemingway said...

Sending all very best wishes to you and for your continuing recovery. We are also having something of a heatwave here in the UK and Hamada finds it even more tiring than usual, not even liking sitting in the garden much but it won't last long here!
Keep up the good work.

Sandy said...

There's a song about Houston, but it fails to report on the H-umidity... which is often high. Sympathies to you all on having to deal with that, but good wishes for a speedy recovery so you can get back to your wonderful, less humid, Colorado!

Jeffery said...

Still at the top of your class :)

You'll be happy to know there are about 3 new frozen yogurt shops within 5 minutes of your home.

"Yogurt Guru" in CCN, "Chill-In" CCN and "Cherry on Top" in the CC Mall... all awaiting your return.

Love and light!