Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Temporarily Grounded

Last week my doc said I could likely go home this week and in fact said to go ahead and book a flight on Wednesday (yes, today). I was cautiously optimisitic but not so much so that I posted it. In one week's time I've come down with more of the crud. The visit yesterday was supposed to be the sendoff, but instead it was an examination of all those congested orifices. A little blood oozing from the ear had Susan and me concerned, but it seems its just a broken bloood blister. In my ear? So some heavy duty antibiotics, and antibiotic eye drops for the infection there and the belief is that I'll be ready to go by Saturday. My left ear is completely plugged and I can't hear a thing. I'm not getting on an airplane until that clears as I suspect the pressure changes would put me on the floor in excruciating pain. Everything else seems a go. My blood work remains stable. I had my central line catheter removed from my chest. For the first time in 3 1/2 months I will be able to stand facing the shower. But oh, how clean my back is!!!

I start revlimid tomorrow and they will be enrolling me in the vaccine trial sometime next month. Much to my surprise I learned last week that Dr. Larry Kwak, who is the chairman of the Department of Lymphoma and Myeloma at M.D. Anderson will be overseeing this trial. Dr. Kwak was recently featured in Time Magazine's list of the 100 most influential people in the world due to his career devoted to research on cancer vaccines, including a very successful trial on a vaccine for non Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

The protocol for the trial I will be involved in was written by Dr. Giralt in 2004 and only finally approved this year. This clinical trial is modeled after Dr. Kwak's. As I've said previouly, I believe I will be the first myeloma patient to receive this vaccine. Cutting Edge Science!

So, here's to clearing the ears and descending upon Denver.
We continue to be very grateful for all those who have sustained us over these many month away from home. Most particularly Susan's brother Gary who opened his home to us and let us take over. He made a challenging situation seem so easy and natural. As Susan said the other day, "well at least we know we can all live together." What's she planning? A family commune?

Dan

10 comments:

Rebecca Weber said...

Sorry for the congestion Dan, but the rest of the news sounds wonderful.

Amanda said...

I was in tears when I read this I was so happy. Dan back in the great Colorful Colorado! Happy dances insued for quite some time, of which I promise to show you when I see you next. This is such great news! I know you have the crud, which is a bummer, but you are coming home! WOOHOO!!!

Ingrid said...

Well, dear Dan,... if I would still be your neighbour, a soft welcome party was guaranteed.

Seems this time you're in very good hands, .....

I hope your next message will be posted from Garfield 145

Big hug

Sandy said...

Definitely get the ears cleared before flying. There was another MM who blogs on the Myeloma Planet who did not or could not wait and he is still dealing with ear issues. Glad to get news of your progress and wish you well so you can get back home and into a new life!

Seal Family said...

Good news and we will get together once you have returned. Love to all. Dorothy, Greg and Rebecca

Steven L. Ritter said...

So much to say... Sorry about the crud... Glad you are relaxed about going home. Great news about the Trial! I hope that you are the lead hitter on a great new treatment. Get better and get home... In good time...

sigun said...

Dear Dan,

I finally can get your blog again -- could't get it on Joe's computer while in the US. Back in Paris, while you are on your way home. Hope the trip is not too painful. Talk to you upon your return. Bises, Sigun.

sailor said...

Dan, Dan the magic man?

When you're back, could you mediate for me, please? I want to kill my brother... probably not a good thing.

Thanks, I need someone very tall! Love you alll,Sailor

sailor said...

Home bound sounds fab doesn't it.

Love,
Sa

sailor said...

Happy Father's Day to a wonderful example of a great dad. Prayers and blessings to you and all those you love. Speedy recovery and hurry home!

Hugs,

sailor