Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday Update

I know how upset you bloggers get when there is no report from me, so here is today's report. I saw my doctor this morning (as an outpatient in the clinic--how nice) and had blood drawn and received another neupogen shot. My counts continue to rise. My white count is now at 1.5 (normal being about 3.9 to 8), and my neutrophils are now at 1000 (not sure what normal is but I am considered no longer neutropenic when I have 2 consecutive days of 1500. I should get there in a few days.) We have daily visits to the clinic for the next few days for blood draws and shots, but that should lessen over the next few weeks. I asked the BIG QUESTION today, which is, do we know how effective the melphalan was in getting at my myeloma. The answer is no, and we won't know for another 60 to 90 days when they will do more bone marrow biopsies to see the degree, if any, of myeloma cells I still have. Those test results will, of course, dictate the future course of treatment or nontreatment. Surprisingly, the 60 to 90 day wait period feels good to me. I look at it as a time to get my energy back, get off all the drugs I've been taking, and to start feeling better. This disease has forced me to learn to let the future take care of itself and to live for the day. So that is what I hope to do for the next 2 to 3 months, one day at a time. And finally, don't you just love those SOX! Thanks again for all the good cheer. (oh, and Mike P.--I have yet to see elk steaks as a recommended food for cancer survivors, but then what do those nutritionists know anyway)
Love, Dan

No comments: