Thursday, October 13, 2005

Morning Update 10/14/05

Things are proceeding as expected. My red cells dropped last night and so we started the red blood transfusions. I am currently receiving my second pint (no not of guiness, alas). after that they give me the preliminary drugs to help with the stem cell infusion, which will occur sometime around later morning. they are giving me back 10 million of my 22 millions cells harvested. no magic about the number other than its about half of what they collected and they want to hold on to the other half for a potential second transplant (we won't go into that now). The stem cells are stored frozen in a wood preservative which has a distinctively unpleasant odor--mainly to visitors, as my body is so saturated with it, I supposedly can't notice it. I am expecting the side effects of all of this to start creeping up on me and the next few weeks to be pretty crappy. But for now I'm still doing OK. Having this blog site is so great! It is such a pleasure to be hearing from my long lost North Dakota friends. What a group. after years and years of limited contact they are coming out in droves of support. As Susan has said many times, "you can take the boy out of North Dakota, but you can't take North Dakota out of the boy." These friends reach back into grade school days and span into some college roommates. This class of mine connected long ago and we have never lost the connection, no matter how long the separation. THanks for everything,every one of you, from my friends from first grade, to our new neighbors we just met last year. My brother Mike, who now lives in Texas, and my mother, who still hails from North Dakota are here visiting and that is nice. We have put Mike to work cleaning our garage, a job he willing took on. Tom was here a few weeks ago and painted and cleaned windows. What great brothers I have. My love to all of you. Dan

5 comments:

Sonya said...

Hey Dan. We miss you and are all anxiously awaiting your return. It's very quiet here without you. Take care and keep strong.

Dougie said...

We love you brother and look forward to seeing you up and about when time and healing alows. Our love and prayers are with you and your family. I'd like another chance to beat you at a game of Risk. I think if I can just get Kampchatka and go from there----I'd have ya.

Mrs. Joshwick said...

Dan's mother and I are amazed at the strength Dan is exhibiting. He is doing remarkably well. After the stem cell transplant he was a little tired, and is visiting the restroom frequently because he's receiving a lot of fluids. I can't tell you enough how lucky Dan is to have so many wonderful friends. He off your emails and calls.
The garage was organized today.I do not hire out except for sick family members.

nina said...

hi dan, this blog business/personnal site is a fantastic creation, kind of like a controlled candid camera. i think of you often during the day, wondering how life is treating you at any particular moment. this is a great way to find out! i've been collecting these quotes for you.

Dan, may these inspire, comfort, and bring laughter as you continue on this journey, this walk, towards health.


"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings and something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
-Albert Einstein

Healing may not be so much about getting better, as about letting go of everything that isn't you - all of the expectations, all of the beliefs - and becoming who you are
-- Rachel Naomi Remen

In order to laugh, you must be able to play with your pain
-- Annette Goodheart

Most people live, whether physically, intellectually or morally, in a very restricted circle of their potential being. They make use of a very small portion of their possible consciousness, and of their soul's resources in general, much like a man who, out of his whole bodily organism, should get into a habit of using and moving only his little finger. Great emergencies and crises show us how much greater our vital resources are than we had supposed.
-- William James

We cannot be happy
if we expect to live all the time at the highest peak of intensity.
Happiness is not a matter of intensity,
but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony
-- Thomas Merton

God provides the wind,
but man must raise the sails
-- Saint Augustine

We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full
 Marcel Proust

It is a terrible thing
To be so open;
it is as if my heart put on a face
and I walked into the world
-- Sylvia Plath

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
-- Charles A Beard

Trusting your intuition means tuning in as deeply as you can to the energy you feel, following that energy moment to moment, trusting that it will lead you where you want to go and bring you everything you desire.
-- Shakti Gawain

love, nina

Brother Ted said...

Nina, those are some fantastic quotes. I was wondering is anyone out there in this fantasitic circle of friend has any pictures of the "Fuzz" that you would be willing to scan and send to me at tbettridge@comcast.net. It might be fun to post it here on the blog. In the mean time; Dan may this day go well. I will spend my day vizualizing those stem cells doing thier thing and filling you body with healthy new cells. "May this circle be unbroken."